So I spent yesterday at Churchill Downs. Our local advertising club hosts the event and I got all dolled up to schmooze. I’m not a good schmoozer but for this kind thing, I’m always game. Having friendly clients makes this much easier. And funner.
But I learned a lot about myself yesterday. Surprising since I’ve been living with me for 28 years already but whatevs.
These guys lost this race. That’s OK – so did I.
- I know more about horse racing than I originally thought. All thanks to the repeated guidance of my pal VJ and my father-in-law reminding me the money’s in the jockeys. So I was able to share my knowledge. You’re welcome.
- I made $11 yesterday. Well, my winnings totaled to $36 but then I spent some and all you really need to know is I came out on top. Not big money but then again I don’t do big wagers. It’s all about winning. And waving your money in the air [even if it is just $6.40].
- I get crazy jealous when someone wins and I lose. I almost want to steal their stubs to cash it in myself. But this isn’t grade school and that lacks taste or something along those lines.
- I can stand mint juleps. Not my favorite bourbon drink but old fashions were not available. Thus, I had a julep.
- It took me no less than three hours to consume my mint julep though. I had to keep adding ice. And water. But I drank it. All of it.
- I want a horse. Because I want to stand in the paddock in a fancy dress and fancy hat and watch everyone ooh and ahh over my horse. And I want to name it Split Decision. I think I could make a lot of money with a name like that.
- Having Google on your phone makes for a fun day. I loved being able to say “The power of the internet says…”.
- I hate high-heels more than going to the dentist. My feet hated me for the better part of the evening.
- I eat and drink like a man. Bourbon Barrel Ale and a lamb shank the size of my head for dinner. I felt like a caveman. Or a viking. Or a royal Grecian that has every kind of food on the table but chooses the bone-in meat to feast on. Yes, it was divine.
- If you sit next to JBerry at a dinner function, he will eat off your plate. Even if clients are present. I don’t mind it though because I ate off his. Fair trade.
- Lemon and mint in ice cream together is heaven on Earth. I’d probably be willing to break the law in exchange for a scoop.
- I have no problem whatsoever putting my spoon [which may or may not have already been in mouth] in another person’s dessert. None. Whatsoever.