You guys know my PodMate, right? Susan? Well, she’s off on a new adventure and has opened her very own Etsy store: Sweeter Lemon. Her shop is filled with items that are perfect for gifts, for the home, for the office and even for those of us who are back at school. And as a fan and a customer [and a friend], I thought it would be fun to host a little meet and greet with PodMate herself.
1. OK, so I know you and you know you, but not all the fine people of the interweb know you. Tell us more about yourself.
Hello, fine people of the interweb! I’m Susan, aka PodMate, aka the person behind the one-woman Etsy enterprise, Sweeter Lemon. I’m also a displaced New Englander living in Louisville after a six-year stint in Chicago. I’m a crafter, a knitter, an avid TV-watcher and reader.
2. What is Sweeter Lemon? What was your inspiration? Unicorns?
Sweeter Lemon is my Etsy shop, your place to find surprisingly sweet gifts and accessories. Right now I offer an assortment of fabric covered button gift items – magnets, pushpins, sewing buttons, and gift sets.
My inspiration was really an “ah-ha!” moment. I had made a few sets of magnets that I thought were really cute. After a quick focus group (aka, showing pictures of them to friends and family via e-mail), I knew I had a great product that I wanted to share with the world. I even documented the moment I decided to open the shop in a picture for the 365 Self-Portrait project I was working on at the time! I love that photo, because it really captures the moment of inspiration.
Susan’s self-portrait. Isn’t she cute? *heart*
3. What have you enjoyed most about your new adventure? Do you have a favorite piece?
I have a background in Arts Administration, so the business portion of this venture has been very exciting for me. I love blending my business background with the creative aspect of the shop.
As for a favorite piece, I love every single item I post – that’s one of my personal rules. If I don’t like it, it doesn’t go beyond the experimentation phase. That being said, I have a few new items in the works that I’m *very* excited about, including a button bracelet that is (in my humble opinion) absolutely adorable. I should have it ready for the shop in just a few weeks – you don’t want to miss it!
Some of Sweeter Lemon’s newer items.
4. Now I really like the fabrics you select for your products [as I’ve told you a bazillion times] – is there a fabric selection committee or a requirement of making people cry rainbows?
The fabric selection is so much fun! It’s my favorite part of the process. I prefer to shop in person at local quilt shops when I can. Basically, I walk along each aisle and pull fabrics that appeal to me. Then I find a seat (quilt shops usually have seats, they’re very accommodating) and really look at each and every fabric, determining how it will look on the buttons, if the round button shape works with the colors and patterns in the fabric. It’s a process, and I love it. And if it makes people cry rainbows? Even better!
I love the fabrics Susan picks – LOVE.
5. What do you do when you’re not elbow deep in crafting glue and glitter?
If I’m not elbow deep in glue and magnets and fabric and felt, I’m usually knitting or working with yarn in some way. (She’s an awesome knitter, guys. And entered some items in the Kentucky State Fair.) I’m trying to see more sights in and around Louisville, and so you might find me taking a bourbon distillery tour, cheering on the local roller derby team (Go, DCRGs!) or taking a photo walk in a local park.
6. Since Sweeter Lemon is with Etsy, you must be a fan. What are some shops or products that you stalk admire?
There are so many amazing artisans on Etsy. Since I’m a knitter, I tend to stalk admire the yarn dyers like North Loop Yarn. I also have a deep affection for owl motifs because they remind me of my grandmother, who collected them. In particular, I love the ceramic owl items at Fruit Fly Pie – she carries reproductions of many of my grandmother’s owls, but uses modern colors to make them more “now.” I’d buy one of each, if I could!
7. Are there other places on the interweb you can be found? In case the fine people of the interweb want to stalk admire you?
8. How much do you enjoy your neighbor at work? And her sneezes?
I have to say, I really and truly lucked out with my neighbor at work. She makes each day a lot more fun, she’s a blast to be around, and her sneezes make me giggle each and every time. (I sneeze like my DAd – it’s loud and annoying and I usually follow one with a “I’m sorry.”)
I should really record one of her sneezes one of these days to share with the world. Really, shutterboo readers, you don’t know what you’re missing! (She’s pulling your leg. Don’t listen to her.)
A little Pod-love. And photobombing.
9. And a final, universal question: Do you install the toilet paper so that you pull from the top or the bottom of the roll?
Is this even up for debate? Over the top, definitely. (I knew we had a deeper connection!)
And there you have it! Now you wouldn’t think we’d have you read Susan’s autobiography for nothing, did you? (If you answered yes, you have very low expectations of le blog.) Sweeter Lemon has graciously offered up an item from her Etsy shop to give away!
These Rainbow Dot Fabric Covered Button Magnets could be yours.
Here’s what to do to enter the giveaway:
1. Visit Sweeter Lemon and come back to this blog entry to post a comment of your favorite item in the shop.
2. A valid email address must be included so that you can be notified.
3. Your comment must be on this post. The giveaway closes Friday, August 27, 2010 at 8pm EST. The winner will be announced Monday, August 30th.
Good luck, fine people of the interweb!