They Grow Up So Fast

The problem with puppies is they become dogs.  Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a dog lover.  I’ve had dogs most of life and I love the two doggins that live with me.  But I luuuuuz puppies.  I do.  I get all stupid around them and do that baby talk stuff.  True story.

I talk to our neighbor’s puppies and tell them to be good every morning I get in my car.  If I’m near a Feeders Supply, I go in just to pet the puppies.   I enjoy getting the local weeklies in town so I can flip through the puppy classifieds.  I’m a big pile of goo when it comes to puppies, I’m aware of this.

So when I met Kilo, this cute little ball of fur, I loved all over him.  And I instantly fell in love with him.

Kilo

Since taking this photo last spring, I’ve seen Kilo a few more times.  Even been on a few walks with him.  I can honestly say I’ve never seen a dog so tired on a walk that it would drag it’s face.  Kilo drags his face.  He looks hilariously stupid.  Stupid looking or not, he’s always looked like a puppy.  And I guess he still does but he’s growing up.  Becoming a dog.

Brian asked me to snap a new photo of Kilo.  I immediately said it wouldn’t be as good as the last because Kilo isn’t as cute.  Folks, I’m here to tell you that I’ve been proved wrong:

14-50

Just look at that tongue.  Seriously.  It’s like he’s trying to top himself.  Well played Kilo, well played.

To learn more about Brooke and see her recent work, visit her new site at brookemurphyphoto.com. Follow Brooke on Facebook or Twitter.

September 28, 2010 - 9:20 am

Robin - Thanks so much for visiting my blog today! You have a lovely blog and take wonderful pictures… I’ll be following you in my Google reader! Have a great week!

September 28, 2010 - 9:33 am

katie o. - I’m in love. The puppy shot is just about one of the best dog photos I have EVER seen. And the adult version is just as wonderful.

Puppies are what babies are to others. I want to smell their breath, their paws…and just play with their little velveteen ears.
I officially want a puppy now.

September 28, 2010 - 10:08 am

Tom B. Taker - Awesome pics. I like the shallow depth of field. Were you also using a zoom?

September 28, 2010 - 10:15 am

Brooke - @Robin- Back at ya!
@Katie- Kilo has the softest ears. I threatened to take them home with me. I too love that photo – he seems so much calmer in it than in real life.
@Tom- That’d be my 50mm that I loveohsomuch. So yeah, slight zoom but the aperture stops down to f/1.8 giving the short DOF.

September 28, 2010 - 10:39 am

Victoria - Ahhh! Help me! I can stand the cuteness! Those eyes…And that tongue. My sister has a cat that does the exact same thing. He always looks like he’s doped. I often accuse my sister of drugging her cat. She loves me.

September 28, 2010 - 10:44 am

Jayne - LOL…such a sweet face. I think all young animals are pretty adorable but I must admit my soft spot is for kittens. …Don’t let me near the kittens because I’ll want to come away with one! :D

September 28, 2010 - 10:49 am

Sarah - A.dor.a.ble. Those eyes! And that silly tongue! Cuteness, indeed. :) My Mochi (who you saw today on the grates) does that same tongue thing.

September 28, 2010 - 2:37 pm

denise:) - aaawwww…. cccchhhheeeeee…. cuuuuteee! my toes are curling!!!

September 28, 2010 - 3:21 pm

Brooke - @Victoria- I bet it’s all that catnip. They get one whiff and it’s all down hill from there.
@Jayne- I like kittens too. But I’ve never had a feline. And you’re right, it’s all baby animals… so cute.
@Sarah- Mochi is smart – I take over the grates in winter time. :)
@Denise- Curling toes… is this good? :)

September 28, 2010 - 4:03 pm

Denise - Oh my! That tongue is adorable. He’s just cute in so many ways. I’m a dog lover too, but puppys, well they make my heart jump!

September 29, 2010 - 8:13 am

Laura - Adorable! I listened a “This American Life” podcast from NPR one time, and someone had an idea for a puppy channel – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puppy_Channel.

I thought it was a pretty awesome idea.

September 29, 2010 - 10:39 am

Amy - Puppies are my kryptonite. Someone brings a baby into my office, and I’m like, “meh.” But when someone brings in their puppy, I’m knocking people out of the way to get to the little fur-ball.
That picture is amazingly cute!

September 29, 2010 - 3:33 pm

Brian - what a nerd puppy that “kilo” is

September 29, 2010 - 3:40 pm

Brooke - @Brian- Like father like son? :)

September 29, 2010 - 4:55 pm

Matt - How could you not love that face?!

October 1, 2010 - 9:07 am

Doris - What a cutie! I would have fallen in love with him too. The part about him dragging his face on a walk was instant love. This is a special dog.

Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning and leaving a comment!

October 5, 2010 - 5:52 pm

Anamaris - ahhahahahaahahaaaawwwwhowcuuute! I love that tongue shot! He’s adorable. I have a new puppy now, will be introducing her to the world soon.

October 26, 2010 - 5:49 pm

Jackie - Such a cutie!! I love the tongue shot…haha! =) I love your blog and your photos. I found you while I was stumbling around Flickr. I came across the 52 week photo challenge and I think i’m going to give it a go. Hope you don’t mind, but I am going to use your list…it’s a great list and it includes a lot of things I haven’t photographed before, so it will be a good challenge for me. Also I mention your blog in my first entry, hopefully it will bring you more readers =).

January 17, 2011 - 9:51 pm

shutterboo » Blog Archive » I Don’t Exist - […] as Brian stroked Chase’s head and told her how she should be Kilo’s birthday present, I tell myself it’s OK.  Because when he’s gone, she’ll be mine […]

S o c i a l